Monday, April 4, 2011

Tyler

It's two o'clock in the afternoon, I just finished my breakfast, and I am still in my pajamas. Yup, it was a rough night. - Thankfully, Tyler's neurologist is a very good friend to our family, and we are able to call him on his cell or at home. Well, Friday everything sort of came crashing down around us. He had been putting in weeks of horrid daily migraines and vomiting. I called our fave doc in the world on his cell, and he had us take Tyler to the ER for blood work and dehydration. He was concerned because Tyler had taken 8 mg of Zofran and was still vomiting. This is a drug that they would give to chemo patients to control their nausea. He had lost over 20 pounds in a little over a month. Freaking SCARY! - We brought Tyler in and it took two nurses about half an hour to be able to get his IV in. OUCH! They administered Compazine for the nausea and migraine pain, but within minutes, Tyler was having a nasty reaction. He was combative, angry and restless. I went to the nurses' station and told them what was happening, and the doctor and a nurse came in right away. They gave him Benadryl through his IV and explained that he was having Dystonia because of the Compazine. Apparently it happens in one out of twenty patients. It was scary as heck. Thankfully the Benadryl helped, and he was able to calm down. - After that wonderfully jarring experience, they gave him a pain med that could knock over a horse. He actually had two days with hardly any pain, and no nausea! Then in the middle of the night his migraine spiked, and he is in pain today. He is resting now, and my heart is so sad for him. He had two days of feeling well, just to be blindsided by horrible pain again. - In all of this I have learned a few lessons. - 1. Cherish the good times. - 2. No one can understand what you are going through unless they have had a sick child as well. - 3. Times like these can strengthen your faith, or make you bitter. I am choosing to strengthen my faith. - There have been a couple shining examples for me. Tyler's faith hasn't been shaken. He has a strong testimony and belief in our Heavenly Father. We prayed and prayed that the nurses would be able to get his IV in, and they were able to. That was a huge blessing. Tyler's friend Trevor has been pulling for him, and none of us will ever forget that. Our new Home Teacher, Matt, has shown so much love and concern for Tyler as well. That touched my heart. - When you go through things like this, it is the little things that matter most. Someone dropping a dinner by or a phone call. If we say no, now is not a good time to come by, please don't get offended, Tyler has to be our first priority now, and we may have put in a rough day, night, or both. We may still be in our jammies and eating breakfast at two in the afternoon. This is hard for all of us, and we are just trying to hold on, hang in, and get through this.

1 comment:

  1. Tyler has my deep sympathy. My migraines quit when I was in my 30s, thank goodness, but I well remember the pain and nausea caused by the slightest noise, light, touch, or movement. Fortunately for me, mine only lasted half a day at most; I can't imagine experiencing that for days at a a time as Tyler does. Let him know I'm praying for him.

    ReplyDelete